Mindless snacking is a huge contributing factor to consuming too many calories. Too often we are snacking on the go, while we watch tv, because we are bored… The truth is, most of the time we are snacking out of habit. That is a habit we need to break.
I’m not saying snacks are bad for you, but they need to be chosen wisely. Have some healthy snacks prepped and ready to go so that when hunger hits you have them right at your finger tips. Then you won’t be tempted to snack on the wrong things.
Portioning your snack out ahead of time will also help. If you want to eat some popcorn while you watch a movie, then do it! But instead of bringing out the whole bag, get a small bowl and pour yourself some, or buy the individual sized popping bags. This way you can keep your portions in check and if you get caught up in the movie, you don’t end up eating a whole bag if you weren’t planning to.
I’m human. I know that sometimes, no matter how carefully you plan, you just get those cravings that seem impossible to fight off. If you are truly hungry, then feed yourself. But, if you know that you are craving these snacks out of bad habits, I have some tricks that may help you overcome temptation and let your willpower have the win.
5 Simple Tricks to Stop Snacking
- Drink sparkling water. Make sure it doesn’t have any added sweeteners or calories. Drinking sparkling water can help you feel more full due to the carbonation. This can help you to eat less if you do end up snacking, or make you feel as though you don’t need a snack at all.
- Chew gum. Having gum in your mouth will make you less likely to put food in it. You don’t want to go overboard here, especially if you are chewing a sugar free gum. The sugar alcohols contained in sugar free gum can cause diarrhea, which we definitely don’t want!
- Brush your teeth/use whitening strips. Nothing really tastes good after brushing your teeth. Just make sure to be gentle on your gums! Don’t use the whitening strips too often either or you may find tooth/gum sensitivity.
- Paint your nails. Alright, I know this doesn’t apply to everybody, but if you’re someone who paints your nails this could work for you. You can’t shove your hands down a bag of chips with wet nails can you?! There’s even a nail polish that has a terrible taste to it to get people to stop biting their nails… you wouldn’t want to taste that when you put food in your mouth either.
- Drink herbal teas. There are so many different flavors of tea out there you can find anything to satisfy your taste buds. Just don’t ruin it by adding cream and sugar!
I just want to reiterate here, these are tips to avoid unnecessary snacking out of bad habits or lack of portion control. Do not starve yourself. If you are truly hungry, then eat a snack! Just make it a healthy choice and don’t feel bad about it. And, if you’ve been good all week and you want to indulge in a decadent treat, then do it. Life is about balance and I don’t want you to go crazy!
What kind of tricks have helped you stop snacking?