It’s been a long time since I’ve gone on a vacation. Too long. Probably like 5 years. It’s safe to say the last time I traveled I wasn’t nearly as health conscious as I am now.
I’m pretty excited to say that I will be going to Jamaica in a couple months for a friend’s destination wedding. However, I don’t plan on letting all my healthy habits disappear for the week that I will be beachin’ it up.
What does this mean?
It means that I plan on getting workouts in and making sure that I get the proper nutrition. It is especially important to continue to eat right while traveling since you are more susceptible to getting sick.
So, how do you stick to your healthy lifestyle while traveling?
- Be reasonable. There’s nothing wrong with enjoying yourself. Don’t beat yourself up if you over-indulge some. Just try to scale it back in for your next meal. Maybe walk a little more the next day. Little things can make a big difference to offset your over-indulgences.
- Bring your supplements. Unless you’ve traveled to this specific location before, you don’t know exactly what resources will be available to you. Just because you’re traveling doesn’t mean that you should leave all of your supplements at home. Grab some ziplock baggies and bring enough for your trip! (I recently purchased this supplement container* which I love).
- Bring workout clothes. Really all you need is one set of workout clothes. You can easily wash them in the sink and let them dry overnight, so there’s no excuse that you don’t have enough room to pack them.
- Adjust your workouts/meals the week before. Although one day won’t make or break you, you know there’s a good chance you will be distracted and stray away from your normal routine. In efforts to compensate for those unexpected occurrences, try exercising a little bit harder and eat more precisely in the week leading up to your trip. I suggest doing this when you get back as well to help get you back on track ASAP.
- Make the most of your environment. You should be doing this all the time anyway, but I know the last thing you want to do when you’re on a tropical island is to sweat in a hotel gym for and hour or two. Work out on the beach! You get to feel the sun, hang out with your friends, and take advantage of the added resistance of the sand. This is a great way to switch up your workout routine from normal dumbbells and cardio equipment.
As you’ve heard a million times before, life is about balance. Enjoy your vacation, and don’t obsess over slip ups. These are just some tips you can follow if you do want to make a conscious effort to stick to your plan.
What helps you stay healthy while you travel?
*denotes affiliate link