Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!
I have been waiting a LONG time for this day to come. It’s my favorite day to eat (hehe). I know it’s tough to resist all the stuffing, mashed potatoes, casseroles, gravies, pies, etc. The holidays are tough for a lot of people, but remember, life is about balance. I’ve had some cravings the past couple days and I stopped and told myself “you need to be good now so you can treat yourself on Thanksgiving.” It worked! With the help of a little Halo Top Ice cream…
A little off subject here but if you haven’t tried Halo Top Ice cream and you are looking for something to help with the sweet tooth, you are missing out my friend. I’ve tried the Birthday Cake Flavor, Black Cherry, and Sea Salt Caramel and so far I like them all. I’ve also heard really good things about the Lemon flavor as well. It’s a little pricier than most options at the grocery store, but its worth it! Anyways, moving on…
I wanted to reach out to you today for a couple reasons. 1. To remind you that life is about balance and to enjoy yourself today and 2. Don’t lose sight of your goals. Make sure you pick back up tomorrow with your workouts and proper diet. I know… you’re going to want the leftovers. Can’t blame ya. That’s okay, but maybe a little less than you ate today, alright? Tomorrow is actually a good day to workout because you’re going to be full of energy from feasting today!
Also, take time to remember everything that you’re thankful for; family, love, shelter, food, friends, support, clothing, a job (even though maybe you had to work today)… I’m not going to get too emotional on you here but I just think it’s really important to take a step back and realize everything you have instead of focusing on what you don’t.
Okay now back to the health and fitness. Want some tips to keep Thanksgiving from sabotaging your progress? Ask and you shall receive 🙂
- Work harder during your workouts surrounding the holidays. Keep a clean diet during these days too. Thanksgiving dinner will be your reward for doing so well 🙂
- Don’t try to save calories by skipping breakfast. I know how this may seem logical, but you’re likely to eat more if you starve all day and gorge at one meal. Also, breakfast helps get your metabolism going for day, burning calories at a higher rate than if you skipped it.
- If it’s buffet style, take a look at all of the food before putting any on your plate. This way you know everything you want to eat rather than running out of room on your plate halfway down the line and having to go back up for seconds.
- Fill up on the healthier items first (veggies!). This will leave you with less room to indulge on the not-so-good-for-you foods.
- Drink water! It’s easy to pile on the calories if you’re adding alcohol to the mix. Drink water to help you consume less calories (from drinks), feel fuller, and stay hydrated (you’ll be thankful the next day when you don’t have a hangover!)
- Okay, I saved the worst for last people.
I really don’t want to do this to you… but you COULD lighten up the recipes. You know, cauliflower mashed, oil instead of butter, yogurt instead of sour cream… I know you don’t want to mess with family recipes and throw off tradition, so at least listen to the first 5 tips 😉
Hope this helps! I wish you all a very wonderful thanksgiving and I will talk to you soon 🙂