Grocery shopping can be a daunting task- especially when you’re not exactly sure what you’re looking for. These are some fool proof tips to a successful, healthy grocery shopping experience.
- Make a list! (and STICK TO IT). I know this seems like a given, but how many times have you gone to the grocery store without a list because you only needed a few things and you either forgot, or got distracted by some other items that looked good? I know I have!
- Eat BEFORE you go shopping. There are two reasons for this. 1. When you are hungry you are more likely to have impulse purchases which will cost you more money and you will be more likely to make an unhealthy choice, and 2. If you are starving while you’re shopping and manage not to succumb to temptation while shopping you will most likely overeat when you get home.
- Shop the perimeter of the store first. Ever notice that when you first walk in to a grocery store you see all the fresh produce? Then as you make your way around the store the outside has your seafood markets, deli counters, protein options and dairy options? As you make your way to the middle isles you find your processed food items.
- Read food labels. This can be tricky-you need a little bit of knowledge with this one. If you need help reading food labels click here. Initially this may make your shopping trips a little longer, but once you get the hang of it you’ll know what you’re looking for.
- Try shopping at LEAST once a week. This may vary depending on how many people you have in your family. The reason for this is because the majority of the food you should be buying is fresh and obviously perishes quicker than processed foods.
- Avoid those snacks you see at the checkout line. Studies have shown that those items are strategically placed at eye level so that you see them while you are waiting and enticed to buy them. Don’t let them fool you! 😉
Don’t feel overwhelmed when you start shopping for foods outside of your normal shopping list. Follow these tips and stick to your new list; you will save time, money, and get all of your healthy groceries 🙂